2021 MARLIN HUNT Entry form.
Welcome to the Hokianga Big Game and Sport Fishing Club website.
- Our weighmaster has been run off his feet. Last weekend there were 20 marlin weighed. Hokianga Harbour was lit up like a Chinese lantern just prior to daybreak last Sunday when conditions were perfect. 141kg is the heaviest striped marlin weighed to date.
- A great start to the new year. Lorraine Farley boated the first marlin for their new boat Happy Chappy. Congratulations to the Farley Family.
- Junior member, Jack Crosbie went out for his first marlin hunt during the school holidays. He landed a nice 67.8Kg Striped Marlin. Congratulations Jack.
- 15.01.2021-Happy New Year-The Hokianga is alive with marlin and very keen anglers.
- 7 Striped Marlin weighed today.
- 16.01.2021-A record number of boats and anglers out off the Hokianga. Marlin tagged and boated early in the day. Pleanty of hook ups.
* 2021 SUBSCRIPTION forms. .....Click here...
- 2019 President's Report ......Click here.....
- 2020 Reel Fishing Contest......What a wonderful week the Club has had in the Hokianga. Lots of visitors for the Nationals and lots of keen anglers for our contest. A huge thank you to all who helped make this event so sucessful. Congratulations to the many winners - a good many of whom also featured in the Nationals prize winning list. Locally our Club President skippered the winning landed marlin whilst Ethan Grylls on Tennessee Whisky tagged and released a very impressive 5 marlin to place him 2nd overall in the John Hough Memorial Trophy nationally and 1st for the most T & G. Deb Wilson also featured in this class. Ed Rihari won the Shortbill Spearfish Championship nationally and many local anglers featured in the small fish line weight sections so overall, HBGSFC members did exceptionally well in our Club contest and at the Nationals where we were placed 9th Club overall.
- Our contest results will be posted here shortly.
- National results are available on the NZ Sport Fishing Council web page https://nationals.nzsportfishing.org.nz
- 132.5kg Landed by Cory Bellamy 3.2.2020
- Plenty more action out from the Hokianga Entrance
- Numbers to the left do not include a number of Marlin landed but not weighed at Hokianga.
- 9 Marlin tagged and released to date.
- Latest Newsletter.....Click here... Feb. 2020 ..... read all about what's happening at the Hoki....
- '19 REEL FISHING CONTEST PHOTOGRAPHS....See below.....
- 2019 There's been some perfect fishing weather during our annual Reel Fishing Contest. The Marlin showed up after a couple of slow days and Les, our Weigh Master, has been kept busy. Thanks Les. You are wonderful.
- February 2019....Some very nice Stripies have been weighed in up to 126.9kg this month thus far...11th February.
- January 2019....27th and 28th of month the Striped Marlin arrived at the Hoki. 7 fish weighed/tagged up to 120kg... Heaps of bait fish and lots of fish in the gear.
Our most recent photographs are shown first.
- Sean Chick with this super sized 19.59lb snapper.
- That's 8.88kg for the younger generation.
Regular fishos off Ripiro and Hokianga, the Coles Family of Omamari
with Pete's 103kg marlin boated on Off Road.
Reel Fishing Comp WINNER John Bruce
CONGRATULATIONS John and Team BILLFISH
Scott really wanted a marlin but this snapper caught off Double Trouble
has to be a close second. Congratulations Scott.
Local fisho, Gloria Ruwhiu, has had a great day and proudly weighed in her 3 Kahawai
caught off Reel Sweet.
Nikau's Land Based Snapper... WOW
Sam Crosbie had an awesome day out on the Hokianga Harbour.
The Opononi Lion's Fishing Contest
saw lots of our Club Juniors claim prizes.
Keep it up.
Bob landed this lively Black Marlin off Hard Yakka in just 1hr.
28th January 2019. First Marlin landed by a lady angler. Congratulations to Linda Imms. 96.8kg
Steffin was visiting from the former East Germany. His only other fishing experience was shore based in fresh water when a child so one can only imagine the thrill of this catch. Congratulations Steffin.
Henrys on the Hoki - well know kiwis Graham and Rae Henry
out with President Shane for a snapper fish...
Mr. Shag and his feathered friends
claimed rights to the Opononi ramp.
Both the boat and the skipper are "seniors", but the
catches are still very impressive!
This is how to spend the evening at Opononi.......
Happy local angler Neil Silverwood on Westerberg II
Heaviest Striped Marlin is this 137.6kg landed off Westerberg II by John Pattinson with his wife Linda at the helm. Well done team.
1st Striped Marlin for this happy angler - Tom Stilwell (left) Skipper - Terry Poklington (right). Well done team.
Young Hoani Riki Dick loves to fish off the wharf at Omapere with his Dad, Brett.
This is Hokianga Paradise.....
- Mike Brenstrum with his striped marlin weighed in yesterday.
Snow, Vicky and Toenail with their third marlin in 4 days off the Hokianga entrance.. Well done team Snowdrop.
Hokianga Fishing Club member, Deb Wilson weighed in this awesome Big Eye Tuna off the Bay of Islands recently. Congratulations Deb.
Chris Hart with the first marlin for the Hokianga 2017. He did not even have time to put the shot gun out and WHAM... Congratulations Chris and Jeremy. You've proven they are out there. 88.7kg off St Mawes.
Peter Bowden off Reel Life landed this
grand 191.3kg Blue Marlin off the Hokianga
February 10th. Congratulations Peter.
Nine year old Jack Crosbie with his first Trevali. Well done Jack.
Codie McIntyre on Phat Bastard, tagged and released this est 80kg Striped Marlin on the first morning of the Hokianga Reel Fising Comp and the NZFSC National's
Mike Brenstrum hooked these 5lb and 2.5lb Crayfish
whilst snapper fishing.......it's called a bycatch....
- John Pattinson with a nice Kingi caught off the Bluff...
- Les the Weigh Master and Marina our Vice President put in a lot of work to help make our 2015 Prizegiving at the Copthorne a wonderful night. Thank you Les, Marina and the rest of the A Team.
Skye was the overall winner of the Junior Contest - Congratulations Skye.
Dennis Barnes kindly donated this awesome Dolphin Trophy for the Junior Fishing Contest. He kindly presented all of the prizes on the foreshore and helped make it a very special event. Thank you Dennis.
Skye is a winner...she is a born fishergal and has made her whanau very proud.
All of the Junior contestants are the future of our fishing club. Well done.
Linda Pattinson is our Club Secretary/Treasurer and is pictured here holding the heaviest snapper for a lady angler this season. Well done Linda. What a beauty.
Daniel Boyd weighed in this massive 154.6kg stripy.
* Cookie Phillips signed his son-in-law up before their fishing trip and guess what??? they weighed in a 12.3kg snapper later that day. (27.12lbs) Congratulations Johnson off 'Specialist'.
That is going to take a lot to beat...
* BOAT INSURANCE - Through the NZ Fishing Council, Club Marine Insurance is making the following offer - Insure your boat with Club Marine and have 6% of the premium paid to your fishing club.
* Mike, a very keen land based fisherman from Kerikeri can be seen each week
on the breathtaking Opononi foreshore with his surfcaster.
Thank you for visiting our web page.
We look forward to seeing you here in Omaparadise...
We are located in one of the most beautiful and pristine fishing grounds of New Zealand.
Fishing is possible all year round and a wide variety of species is out there waiting for you keen anglers.
Fish in the peaceful harbour or take on the Tasman Sea.
It's all here - seclusion, beauty, fresh air, comfortable accommodation, great eateries and plenty of fish!
Catch up with the locals at the Clubrooms
The Copthorne - Omapere - next to the boat ramp.
~~ Click on link below to view contest dates......